Monday, February 6, 2012

List of 51 things

Being so 'Sweet & Spicy', I figured it was all too appropriate that I memorize...what else but...a list of spices. I'm going for practicality as well as being outrageously apropos, because it happens also that I love to cook, so the memorization of this list will undoubtedly prove to be useful.

The strategy? For spices that are more difficult to memorize I'll try to incorporate their actual properties in the image I create for them. For example, Marjoram, which has grayish-green leaves and is a member of the mint family--so I'll picture a soldier in his gray-green colored uniform saluting and saying "Major I am" while marching in place on a pile of York peppermint patties.

Yeah, this can totally work.

(Note: The actual list here is 60 things long, but it pains me to give up the symmetry)



Allspice
Alum
Arrowroot


Anise Seed





Basil


Bay Leaves


Black Caraway




Chamomile
Capsicums
Caraway Seed


Cardamom
Cayenne


Cinnamon


Celery Seed


Chervil
Chile Powder
Chinese Five Spice


Chives


Cilantro


Cinnamon


Cloves


Coriander
Cream of Tartar
Curry


Cumin


Dill Seed


Dill Weed


Fennel



Garam Masala


Ginger


Horseradish
Juniper


Lavender
Lemongrass
Mace


Marjoram


Mustard


Nutmeg



Oregano


Paprika
Parsley


Black Pepper


White Pepper


Peppercorns




Peppermint
Pumpkin Pie Spice


Poppy Seed
Red Pepper


Rosemary
Saffron


Sage
Salt


Savory


Sesame Seed


Spearmint
Star Anise


Tarragon


Thyme
Turmeric


Vanilla Bean



No comments:

Post a Comment